City Council

Maryville City Councilman John McBride gives his opinion during the recent discussion on upgrading new golf cars for Mozingo Lake Recreation Park at its meeting Sept. 13. The Council passed three ordinances during their meeting, two include improving the golf car user experience, and the third includes expanding the RV park. 

The Northwest Board of Regents accepted a grant of $40,095 from the Missouri Market Development Program to purchase a new biomass boiler and heating system at the Sept. 9 meeting. 

This program is through the Missouri Environmental Improvement and Energy Resources Authority and works to promote the development for recycled material. One of the ways they promote this is through financial assistance, like this grant. 

The grant will fund up to 75% of the cost for the new biomass boiler, and Northwest will provide the other 25% at $13,366. This money will come from the Recycling Center’s fund. 

“We will invest $13,000, but save $10,000 in our energy costs in just a little over a year,” Vice President of Finance and Administration Stacy Carrrick Carrick said. 

The boiler will be fueled by mixed and recycled paper. Northwest collects 150 tons of paper on average every year from campus and the Maryville community. 

The report sent to the Board of Regents by Carrick said that the value of mixed paper in this region has collapsed and no longer covers the costs it takes to get rid of the paper. 

Northwest Facility Services applied for the grant because it was looking for a solution to the excess amount of mixed paper. This new fuel alternative will allow for 44 tons of mixed paper to go to use.

This paper is currently going into the regional waste stream, which leads to disposal tipping fees. However, it will soon  be used for fueling the biomass boiler. 

This new boiler will be used to heat the Recycling Center, switching it from an electric-forced air heating system. This will eliminate or decrease the need for other heating systems in the center, which will save on energy costs overall.

Though the money to cover around a quarter of the costs will be coming from the Recycling Center’s budget, Carrick said Northwest would be able to make up the cost through savings the new boiler will bring. 

“Currently, we spend about $15,000 a year heating the Recycling Center, so we will be reducing that by 70% with savings of about $10,000 a year,” Carrick said.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.